Established by IICRD in May 2009, the International Standards Council (ISC) is an international body that gives advice and recommendations on the formulation and application of international standards for child rights work done on an international level. While the ISC was originally intended to serve these purposes specifically for IICRD, and is actively involved in doing this, its potential value appears to exceed this original narrow IICRD concentration. The goal and objectives of the ISC are to be pursued in close cooperation with international and national NGOs and UN Agencies, in particular, UNICEF, WHO, UNESCO, and ILO.
To advance accountability in child rights work internationally and within States party to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
To support, encourage, and, where necessary, initiate actions aimed at the establishment of an internationally accepted model of accountability with a framework of operational indicators for measuring progress in the implementing of the rights of children as recognized in international and national law
To promote, support and/or initiate efforts to develop indictors which can be used by the Convention‟ States parties and their civil society child advocates in the context of advancing, evaluating, and reporting on their child rights activities, progress and obligations
This ISC began with a core group of eight highly respected international child rights experts. Members of the ISC have 4 year terms during which they will be expected to provide leadership and guidance on the major issues of design and development for the overall project, and on specific themes such a child rights education for professionals.
IICRD is proud to introduce the members of the ISC:
- Dr. Aseffa Bequele - Executive Director of the African Child Policy Forum in Ethiopia
- Dr. Cindy Kiro - Former Children's Commissioner of New Zealand
- Dr. Jaap Doek - Former Chair and current Member of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child
- James Garbarino - Maude C. Clarke Chair in Humanistic Psychology at Loyola University, Chicago
- Honourable Landon Pearson - Director, Landon Pearson Resource Centre for the Study of Childhood and Children's Rights at Carleton University
- Maria de los Dolores Aquilar Marmolejo - Director General of the Inter-American Children's Institute in Montevideo, Uruguay
- Dr. Marta Santos Pais - UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on Violence Against Children & Director, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre
- Susan Bissell - Associate Director, Programmes - Child Protection, UNICEF Headquarters, New York
- Dr. Yanghee Lee - Chair of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child