The International Institute for Child Rights and Development (IICRD) is a unique hybrid organization: part non-governmental organization (NGO), part academic institution, located in Victoria, British Columbia (BC), focused on social innovation with and for children and youth. For the past 25 years, IICRD has been a bridge building organization working with a wide variety of partners in participatory, applied research, professional education, and community capacity building initiatives. Our programs and projects catalyze change, transformation, and healing for the most vulnerable young people in our society, in Canada and in over 45 countries around the world. Learn more about our history and logo.
Children, their families and communities thrive in a world where there is dignity, belonging, and justice for all.
With a focus on working with children and communities living in adversity, IICRD‘s work promotes the rights and wellbeing of children at all levels. IICRD transforms lives by:
- promoting learning, and nurturing capacities, knowledge, practices, and policies that place the wellbeing and the rights of children, their families, and communities at the centre.
- facilitating innovative, strength based and child led processes at the community, organizational, and international levels
- fostering healing and accountability to children,
- connecting actors across the child protection system.
Our values guide our behaviour and are the principles by which we make our decisions, including:
- Lead with Children: We engage young people to try to understand their lived experiences
- Start with Strengths: We find and tap into the capacities of every person
- Build Partnerships: We focus on collaborating with others to expand the circles of support for children and their families
- Work from the Inside-Out: We use mindful, human-centred approaches to connect our inner and outer worlds
- Power of Ideas: We draw on the ideas of young people and new paradigms to foster social transformation
View our Theory of Change tree to visualize our work.