Through transformational leadership programming, YouLEAD builds your capacity to support the well-being of young people and strengthen the resilience of communities in Canada and around the world.
"The tools were useful, even when life changes. It gave me a window to hope that things could change." - Cheyenne Stonechild, YouLEAD Participant
YouLEAD aims to increase participant capacity on 20 specific abilities (values-in-action) that IICRD considers essential to support the well-being of young people. Zoom in on the image to the left to explore YouLEAD's competency map.
Participants will explore how to put 5 core values into action across 4 learning areas: spirit, heart, hand, and head. These values include: Justice (dark blue, fifth circle), Reflective Leadership (dark green, fourth circle), Holistic Perspective (orange, third circle), Belonging (Red, second circle, and Dignity (light green, first circle).
- JUSTICE - We work on community development that meets the needs & respects the rights of all children, while helping them to both self-advocate and collectively face systemic barriers.
- REFLECTIVE LEADERSHIP - We believe in lifelong learning and the continuing refinement of the self both as an instrument of change, and as an effective partner with others on change initiatives.
- HOLISTIC PERSPECTIVE - We believe in the fundamental link between child rights and the future health of the planet, so there is an increasing focus in our work on participatory & sustainable development.
- BELONGING - We know that learning occurs in relation with others, and strive to create safe, inclusive situations for groJwth. Our work is always based in local context & traditions while making connections to work cross-culturally.
- DIGNITY - We respect each unique person and take a strength-based approach.
Learning Area 1: SPIRIT - We focus on attitudes / deep values & encourage (self-defined) connection to a higher purpose / being.
- Strength-Based Paradigm: understand and apply new paradigms - DIGNITY (Value-in-Action, dark green)
- Self In Community: ground yourself in personal history (culture and family/lineage) while appreciating diversity (other people & perspectives) - BELONGING (Value-in-Action, red)
- Social Responsibility - care for the well-being of humanity and all life on the planet. - HOLISTIC PERSPECTIVE (Value-in-Action, orange)
- Commit to Reflexivity: Check your self and others, commit to lifelong learning - REFLECTIVE LEADERSHIP (Value-in-Action, light green)
- Collaborative Approaches: Support individual & collective ideas and accountabilities - JUSTICE (Value-in-Action, dark blue)
Learning Area 2: HEART - We support cultivation of healthy attachments & emotional intelligence
- Respond to Challenges: build resilience through creative problem solving and communications - DIGNITY (Value-in-Action, dark green)
- Cross-Cultural Skills: use empathy to manage cross-cultural encounters & manage conflicts constructively - BELONGING (Value-in-Action, red)
- Cultivate Care: connect to land (local language, stories and the elements) and cultivate respect and care for people and environment - HOLISTIC PERSPECTIVE (Value-in-Action, orange)
- Understand Trauma: learn about impacts of trauma on whole self, personal triggers, as well as intergenerational trauma and impacts on a people - REFLECTIVE LEADERSHIP (Value-in-Action, light green)
- Create Connections: & shared vision while embracing the complexity of community - JUSTICE (Value-in-Action, dark blue)
Learning Area 3: HANDS - We practice skills which can be applied to meet real challenges
- Lead Effective Meetings: Facilitate group meetings & experiential learning sessions -DIGNITY (Value-in-action, dark green, first circle)
- Cultural Competency: Cultural awareness and competency including respect for diverse peoples and ability to adapt practice to be culturally appropriate -BELONGING (Value-in-action, red, second circle)
- Community-Based Action: Prepare to center, plan, and implement action -HOLISTIC PERSPECTIVE (Value-in-action, orange, third circle)
- Personal Accountability: Self organize and practice personal accountability -REFLECTIVE LEADERSHIP (Value-in-action, dark green, fouth circle)
- Meaningful Conversations: Interact with people and communities and facilitate -JUSTICE (Value-in-action, blue, fifth circle)
Learning Area 4: HEAD - We inquire together into “evidence-based” ideas & theories, with respect for diverse sources of knowledge.
- Power Dynamics Analysis: Ideas for working equitably using a rights based-perspective -DIGNITY (Value-in-action, dark green, first circle)
- Traditional Stories: Engage with traditional local knowledges & stories BELONGING (Value-in-action, red, second circle)
- Sustainable Development: Principles of sustainable development & how to understand and lead in complex systems HOLISTIC PERSPECTIVE (Value-in-action, orange, third circle)
- Clarify Personal Visions & Values: goals & biases [seek & receive feedback to align behaviour with goals & values] - REFLECTIVE LEADERSHIP (Value-in-action, dark green, fouth circle)
- Child & Human Development: familiar with Child, Human & Indigenous Peoples rights - JUSTICE (Value-in-action, blue, fifth circle)
Learn about how to integrate these values-in-action through our Courses & Community.
"I don't know where I would be if I did not have YouLEAD. This program carried me. It kept the momentum to my growth going, opening up space to heal." - Sarah Sandy